DCS Cooktop Buying Guide
What to look for when purchasing a new kitchen cooktop
Indoor Cooktops have become more popular in recent years as more people are looking to conserve space and create more personalized looks for their kitchens. When combined with a wall oven, DCS cooktops provide more versatility than traditional indoor ranges. DCS began making cooktops for professional kitchens. When the need for high-end kitchen appliances began to grow, DCS began producing quality cooktops using the same technology they had perfected in the professional market and adding better insulation to meet residential appliance standards. If you are on the market for an indoor cooktop, take a moment to read about the available DCS cooktop styles and available features.
Sizing Your Cooktop
One of the most important considerations you will need to make when shopping for a DCS cooktop is the available space you have. Whether you are replacing an existing cooktop, remodeling your kitchen or building from scratch, knowing the counter space you have available will save you the heartache and headache of having to return your new cooktop because it was the wrong size. DCS cooktops are available in sizes ranging from 24 inches, which are perfect for smaller kitchens to extra large 48 inch models for the ultimate cooking experience.
- Available Space - When sizing your kitchen for a DCS cooktop you will want to measure the area where you want the cooktop to go. Take detailed measurements of the width and depth of your counter area and take into account the depth of your counter.
- Overhead Cabinets - When designing your kitchen, the last thing you want is to create a fire hazard. It is important to remember that your DCS cooktop is going to put off a good amount of heat which could be dangerous if cabinetry is too low.
- Ventilation - Ventilation is another important consideration when purchasing a new kitchen cooktop. DCS offers several styles of vent hoods that can be used with your indoor cooktop. While telescoping down draft ventilation would work with an island cooktop, you will probably want a wall mount vent hood if your cooktop is near the wall. .
While gas cooktops are more expensive than electric models initially, they will end up costing you less money over time due to lower energy costs. DCS gas cooktops offer more precise temperature control than than other top brands and allows you to adjust temperatures almost instantly. DCS Cooktops are available with natural gas and propane hook ups and offer extremely high temperature settings for searing and boiling as well as low temperature settings for cooking sauces and soups.
BTUs Vs Temperature
Unlike electric cooktops, where the power is measured in an industry-standard watts, gas cooktops are often measure in either BTUs(British Thermal Units/hour) and temperature interchangeably. Both measurements provide an assessment of the or cooktops performance but can be confusing for consumers.
Basically, a BTU is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of liquid from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 61 degrees Fahrenheit when the atmospheric pressure is constant. If all burners were the exact shape and size, BTUs would be an accurate measurement of the burners performance. There are several other factors, however, that contribute to a cooktop burners performance, including the size of burner and the distance from the burner to the cooking vessel. This means that depending on the burner configuration, a 1200 BTU burner can achieve a lower cooking temperature than an 800 BTU or even 300 BTU burner.
Another consideration you will want to make when purchasing your indoor cooktop is the layout of the burners. DCS offers a wide array of cooktop features, including wok rings, griddles and grills that allow for the ultimate cooking experience. Choose the cooktop layout that best suits your needs and your budget.
- Sealed Cooking Surface - DCS cooktops feature a sealed cooking surface that can hold up to a 1 gallon spill.
- Simmer Burners - DCS offers the Dual-Flow burners from which can provide more precise, low-temperature cooking as low as 140 degrees. This lower temperature setting makes it easier to cook delicate soups and sauces.
- High-Heat Burners - The Dual-Flow are also high-heat burners that offer the other end of the spectrum when it comes to cooking. With heat outputs reaching an amazing 17,500 BTU/hr, high-heat burners have the ability to boil and sear foods quickly.
- Control Lockout - For homes with small children, the control lockout is a must have feature for your electric cooktop. This feature allows you to disable the range controls so you never have to worry about the little ones burning their hands on heated burners.
- Heat Indicators - Another great feature with many electric cooktops, heat indicators remain lit even after the cooktop has been turned off to let people know that the burner element is still hot.
- Configurations - Cooktops are available with a variety of options to offer the customized look and feel of a professional cooktop. Some of the great options you may find include grill plates, griddles and wok rings which would allow for the preparation of a variety of foods, including stir-fries, steaks and even diner-style eggs and pancakes.
- Auto Re-Ignition - If the flame goes out while cooking, it will re-ignite to prevent gas from building up in your kitchen and keep your food from getting cold.
- Side Control Knobs - As an added safety feature, DCS cooktop knobs are mounted on the cooktops side so you don't have t reach over the flame and have a push and turn function to prevent little ones from accidentally turning the cooktop on.
DCS cooktops come with a two year warranty that covers parts and labor repairs of basic manufacturer defects. DCSRanges.com is proud to offer an industry exclusive 5 Year Extended Warranty free with the purchase of selected DCS cooktops over $1500.00. If your cooktop does not meet this criteria, however, we are pleased to extend the warranty to cover all major home appliances for a minimal charge. This allows you to take advantage of this exclusive offer and ensures that your DCS cooktop will stay well protected long after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
No matter what kind of kitchen atmosphere you are looking to create - from sleek modern designs to more traditional looks - DCSRanges.com has the indoor cooktop that will compliment both your style and your budget. And if you are having trouble which cooktop will work best for your kitchen, give one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service representatives a call at 877-743-2269.